Finance ManagerApply for this job
Duty Station:Kampala, UG
Salary Scale:Not Specified
Deadline:May 21, 2021 05:00 PM
Number of Positions:1
Age Limit:Not Specified
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting a Finance Manager for our program in Uganda to be based at Kampala Office You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
Reporting to the Country Finance Coordinator, S/He will be responsible for the management of funds in such a manner as to maximize operational effectiveness and efficiency while minimizing risk, and ensures that an adequate control structures, policies, procedures and systems are in place over the organization funds. The Finance Manager will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the accounting unit ensuring value for money in all the transactions. S/He will be responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions are performed in accordance with Alight policies and procedures
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Financial Management and Reporting:
- Manages program financial activities in line with the Alight’s policies and procedures and legal and statutory requirements in Uganda.
- Review and approve all payment documents to a limit of shs.5m for proper and adequate back-up before payment processing.
- Review and approve LPOs to a limit of shs.5M ensuring accuracy and completeness of the documents
- Prepares and verifies monthly account returns and balance sheet reconciliations for the Country Program; ensures appropriate course of action is followed to address significant/extraordinary movements in asset and liability accounts and to adjust any outstanding balances.
- In liaison with Logistics and Operations departments across all field locations, ensures accuracy of monthly commitments for financial obligations already entered into.
- Coordinate all Internal and External audits and inform CFC any issues which need CFC’s attention.
- Preparation of cash and bank reconciliations by the end of every month to be reviewed by the CFC and approved by the Country Director.
- Ensure that cash advance paid out are resolved within the set time flame
- Contributes significantly to the ongoing process of continuous improvement of the financial management system and the internal control.
- Ensure compliance with Alight procedures and guidelines and report to the CFC all anomalies in implementing Alight Internal policies.
Risk Management and Compliance:
In close collaboration with the Country Finance Coordinator;
- Proactively monitors and assesses the quality of existing financial controls across the Country Program and suggest new controls / measures, as appropriate, to minimize the risk of fraud and theft.
- Monitors the implementation and application of the financial controls and compliance with all legal and statutory reporting requirements in Uganda, identifies solutions to problems and ensures that they are implemented in a timely, effective and efficient manner.
- Develops and supports the finance team puts in place an appropriate and secure record keeping for financial transactions in line with donor, Alight and statutory requirements in Uganda.
- Ensures adherence to donor financial requirements and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely preparation of financial reports and tax payments to the Government of Uganda.
- Support the finance staff to ensure the monthly tax return filing as per the Government of Uganda policy in all program offices.
- Plans and prepares for statutory audits.
- Supports the execution of external / project audits.
- Ensures that the Country Program’s bank mandates and list of account signatories are up-to-date.
- Ensures that the country program exceptions approvals are maintained in accordance with Alight policies.
Field Office Training and Development:
- Acting as the primary liaison for the field office finance staff for policy or procedure questions
- By regular visits to the field offices providing training to finance staff on Alight accounting procedures and requirements, assists the Program Managers and program staff in finance related issues and activities.
- Review field cash and bank accountabilities, cash counts and report to CFC any anomalies.
- Review spreadsheets from field sites before uploading to Serenic.
- Give feedback to Field Finance officers regarding their monthly templates
- Reviews and audits accountabilities received from the field for accuracy, completeness, relevance, reasonableness, allow ability, and compliance, and point out anomalies to the CFC.
- In conjunction with the CFC developing or revising policy and procedures and assists in the implementation.
- Process the national payroll ensuring that standard financial controls are maintained.
- Ensure payroll reports and cash is distributed to the required locations in time for all staff to be paid at 25th of every month.
- Ensure that Timesheets submitted staff list must be collected from SHRO before transferring salary to individual staff bank accounts.
- Prepare the necessary related accounting entries including salary allocations.
- Serve as primary liaison with HR and the field offices on payroll related issues.
- Liaise with local government to ensure compliance with national tax and labor regulations.
- Check the accuracy and completeness of monthly payroll information, update (medical/GPA/GLA insurance amortization, salary advances, personal phone calls, overtime and any other deductions or additions) prior to submission to Country Finance Coordinator
- Make sure all payroll related transactions inclusive of severance payments are run through the payroll system.
- In liaison with the Senior Human Resource Officer, follow up and certify that staff complete their timesheet timely.
- Supervise directly the Finance Assistant and technically the field Finance Officers.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Commerce or any related field from a recognized university in Finance, Accounting, Administration or related field required.
- At least two years’ experience working at a senior level in a busy organization.
- Relevant professional qualifications and training in Finance, are added advantages.
- Working knowledge of donor financial accounting procedures, GAAP, IAS/AFRS accounting requirements and budgeting, Tax laws and systems in Uganda
- Good Team Leadership skills; experience of working in a supervisory position with team structure.
- Proven integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to identify critical financial issues with capacity to pay attention to details.
- Capacity building skills.
- Proven ability to interpret financial procedures and standards, put them in practice and influence other in their implementation.
- Strong analytical and planning skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond appropriately to questions from senior managers in the field, Country office, Central Government and Local Authorities.
- Computer Skills in Microsoft office (Word, Excel).
- Proven organizational skills and multitask under tight deadlines.
- Required attitudes:
- Good, proven experience of training and developing staff.
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Experience of proactively identifying and addressing issues.
- Ability to work with a high degree of professionalism.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. Any form of canvassing in the recruitment process will lead to automatic disqualification.
\\\\\\\\\"By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that ALIGHT is committed to ensure compliance of its code of conduct by staff and any other persons working on behalf of ALIGHT with zero tolerance to GBV acts and Protection against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse. ALIGHT requires its staff and any other person working on behalf of ALIGHT to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse and any nature of exploitation. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding related topics\\\\\\\\\".