Protection ManagerApply for this job
Duty Station:Kyangwali, UG
Salary Scale:Not Specified
Deadline:Dec 24, 2021 05:00 PM
Number of Positions:1
Age Limit:Not Specified
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting a Protection Manager for our program in Uganda to be based at Kyangwali Office. You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
Reporting directly to the Team Leader and Technical Supervision of Protection Lead, the Protection Manager will be responsible for leading implementation of Alight’s protection programming. In this capacity, the Protection Manager will be responsible for day-to-day supervision and oversight of Protection team, various protection activities including budget management, and implementation of the requirements of the program. The Protection Manager will work closely with UNHCR and other protection actors in the refugee settlement as well as the settlement leadership structures.
The Protection Manager will work with implementing partners in the settlement to ensure the principles of effective and high quality interventions in all sub sectors including GBV, Child protection, Legal Assistance, Community Services and MHPSS. The Protection Manager will responsible for providing technical support and supervision consistent with international, national standards and ensure that program design, and implementation creates no harm in the communities, promotes human rights and has positive impact.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Staff Supervision & Development
- Mentor and build the capacity of protection staff members from gender based violence, child protection, community services and legal assistance on all aspects or programming including technical knowledge, project cycle management, budgeting and budget management, team management, coordination and reporting.
- Technically supervise all sub sector and provide quality oversight to and mentoring of the protection teams in the field, with a strong focus on building the capacity of staff to take on management responsibilities.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being, coordinate with respective Field Coordinators to manage all leave requests to ensure adequate coverage.
- In close cooperation with the Protection Lead and other Senior Protection Technical Coordinators, actively participate in preparing technical documents.
Grant Planning & Project Implementation
- Lead the overall implementation of the Protection program in designated settlement and provide guidance to the protection staff to ensure that stated goals and objectives are met, that the project is appropriately monitored and evaluated.
- Ensure project reports are written and submitted in a timely manner as finalized per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) and indicators and achievements are followed-up and reported upon, according to the work plan.
- Prepare program work plans that meet the program objectives and prepare appropriate operational guidelines for project staff.
- Regularly update the Grants documents (Indicator Tracking Sheet, Activity and Budget Trackers) and share with Program Manager
- Provide significant input into donor reports in a timely manner, including up-to-date data for indicators.
- Ensure that project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters, in consultation with the Finance Team and the Sub sector leads to ensure that project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters.
- Participate in strategic meetings in proposal development, and provide input from field- lessons etc. in establishment/update of overall protection strategy.
Technical Quality/Programme Management
- Provide technical guidance to sub sector teams on protection activities
- Provide technical guidance to staff and partners, on confidential and safe data collection in line with internationally recognized best practices.
- Maintain effective and safe referral pathways for protection concerns and other vulnerable cases between the protection programme, other internal Alight programmes and external partners, and ensure development and maintenance of SOPs for referrals.
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures on all protection SOPs including GBV, CP, legal assistance, protection monitoring and community based assistance.
- Ensure appropriate trainings for Alight staff and partners on basic protection issues, basic humanitarian principles, human rights concerns, prevailing legal framework and protection, and ensure that protection trainings are of high quality.
- Maintain open and professional relations with the Protection team members, promoting a strong team spirit and provide quality oversight and mentoring to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Develop and implement a context-appropriate, scalable community-based protection approach to foster self-protection capacities and engagement of conflict affected populations in host and refugee settlements.
Reporting and Advocacy
- Analyse protection data to produce succinct, analytical inputs in to monthly quarterly and annual reports to be shared with both external and internal stakeholders, highlighting key protection trends and concerns.
- Advise on protection trends to inform country-wide strategy and plans.
Coordination & Representation
- Develop and maintains effective coordination and long-term relationships with UNHCR and other external stakeholders, representing Alight’s positions, promoting long-term strategy and resolving problems/conflicts.
- Actively contribute and participate in the Site Level Protection Cluster’s Protection Working Groups, and share updates with the Protection Lead for meetings held at the national level.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social work, Community Psychology, Education, Development studies.
- A minimum of 1 year experience working in humanitarian environment, internally displaced populations or other post conflict settings in GBV or similar with refugees will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated management skills and ability to work independently.
- Excellent computer, writing and communication skills including report writing skills.
- The person must be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at a time and work effectively with colleagues from different backgrounds.
- Strong computer skills.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. Any form of canvassing in the recruitment process will lead to automatic disqualification.
"By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that ALIGHT is committed to ensure compliance of its code of conduct by staff and any other persons working on behalf of ALIGHT with zero tolerance to GBV acts and Protection against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse. ALIGHT requires its staff and any other person working on behalf of ALIGHT to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse and any nature of exploitation. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding related topics".