Child Protection OfficerApply for this job
Duty Station:Nakivale and Kyangwali, UG
Salary Scale:Not Specified
Deadline:Feb 15, 2022 05:00 PM
Number of Positions:2
Age Limit:Not Specified
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting a Child Protection Officer for our program in Uganda to be based in Nakivale and Kyangwali Offices. You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
Reporting directly to the Protection Manager, the Child Protection Officer will be responsible for planning and implementation of prevention and response child protection activities, capacity building of partners, staff and community based child protection structures, assessment, budget management and effective coordination. He/she will work directly with the vulnerable children, young people and their families as well as other stakeholders in improving the wellbeing of the children.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Planning and implementation of child protection prevention and response activities in line with the organization’s strategy and program documents.
- Ensure all CP program activities (case management, children participation, adolescent programming, working with community based structures) are conducted in accordance with standard operating procedures to ensure quality and effectiveness.
- Plan and conduct training and mentorship of child protection staff and community-based structures to deliver quality child protection services to children and their families.
- Representation of Alight in the sector-based coordination meetings and other activities at the coordination levels.
- Participate in assessment and identification of child protection gaps and coordinate with other sectors and actors within the location to address them.
- Supervise the Child Protection Assistants and Caseworkers to deliver quality child protection services to children and their families.
- Support in the development and reviewing of activity TOR and workplans of the Child Protection Assistants.
- With support of Manager, prepare and monitor child protection activity-based budget.
- Ensure effective documentation of child protection activities including filing system for case management and activity progress reporting.
- Conduct field monitoring to establish the gaps and capacity building needs to improve project implementation.
- Mainstream child protection activities into other sectors through close collaboration with other sectors.
- Carry out mobilization of key community stakeholders including protection committee, youths, women, men and host communities to participate in community awareness events/meetings
- Demonstrate awareness and implementation of child protection policy’s standards and code of conduct in course of his or her work.
- Proactive participation and input in program and proposal development process
- Under the supervision of the Protection Manager, contribute to drafting concept papers and proposal development
Staff development and management:
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the Child Protection staff and community structures within the operational area.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Conduct daily field visits to support CP Assistant - mentoring - through technical back stopping and to train duty bearers.
- Uphold ’s code of conduct and principles on accountability.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Contribute to the daily quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects and interventions.
- Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points
- Assist in participatory needs/vulnerability and capacity assessments of affected communities
- Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of results.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social work, Social Sciences, Community Psychology, Adult and Community Education and Development studies.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in working on Child Protection issues with an INGO
- Strong experience working with vulnerable children including survivors of GBV and child abuse, neglect, violence and exploitation.
- Strong technical knowledge of and experience on Case Management
- Experience of Community based Protection Approach
- Excellent command of verbal and written English.
- Good understanding of minimum standards in child protection in humanitarian standards and Inter-agency guidelines and tools including BIAs, BIDs and Progress V4 for Case management.
- Computer literacy i.e. good knowledge MS Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Strong analytical, written and verbal skills
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills
- Excellent reporting and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skill and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. Any form of canvassing in the recruitment process will lead to automatic disqualification.
"By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that ALIGHT is committed to ensure compliance of its code of conduct by staff and any other persons working on behalf of ALIGHT with zero tolerance to GBV acts and Protection against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse. ALIGHT requires its staff and any other person working on behalf of ALIGHT to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse and any nature of exploitation. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding related topics".